Umfrage: Your opinion on the case
Keep everything "as is", don't publish the tools
Publish the tools that have no password data in them (PTXTool, STKit)
[I'm player] Publish all tools
[I'm modder] Publish all tools
[Zeige Ergebnisse]

Hinweis: Dies ist eine öffentliche Umfrage. Andere Benutzer können sehen, was du gewählt hast.
Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
WR tools to go open-source ?
I don't mind MTkit being open source so people can create more import formats.

Wouldn't it be more sensible if someone made a new tool just to lock a .mox file for those like me who model their own cars and wheels.
Antworten
Stew2000 schrieb:I don't mind MTkit being open source so people can create more import formats.

Wouldn't it be more sensible if someone made a new tool just to lock a .mox file for those like me who model their own cars and wheels.

That´s exactly my point Smile I wouldn´t mind if sb would improove 3ds import or automatic texture import or so...
"Thank god for Jack White." - Jimmy Fallon
[Bild: b9mx3dq3dehgl3a6g.jpg]
Flickr | tumblr | Freedom in the 21st Century: ► | Kinja | Mods
Antworten
There could be maybe published only code with missing password thing. this way such mtkit wouldnt be able open/save .mox/.car and export to 3ds/lwo protected files. that would be fair in my opinion if there will be decided to publish the code of MtKit and WR_Editcar, because would let others improve the code and dont break password protection which should be kept as secret.
[Bild: LPB_signature.png]
MBWR/WR2 modder since 2004 untill 10.12.2011
Antworten
I am a modder for a long time. I started modding NFS4 and for that moment mine cars were always stolen and modified. I saw cars from other creators that have been ilegally for sale at Turbo Squid (site when you can sell 2d and 3d stuff). Same on other scenes, for ex. GTA and Racer arent safe anymore. There will be allways somebody who will create the unlocker. WR2 scene is free of that. Maybe free its not correct word, but this community has less stolen cars, converted and modified than other games. That makes it special and when I see illegally modificated models here it pisses me off.

We dont need this whole mess here. Hope Krom will find a way to make it good and without any troubles. I respect your work, everyone does, but please don't f*ck it at the end.
Antworten
First of all thanks everyone for detailed and argumentated opinions. I'm happy to see so much discussion.

Now to the point:

I do want to focus your attention on one detail - keeping tools closed means almost zero chance that I will work on them.

As you all might've noticed none of the tools got major updates in past year or so.. and that despite number of requests to make MTKit2 CT/HN compatible, AFC11HN Manager, new EditCar tool... That is because I don't have motivation to work on them (I'm distracted by other things and passions, but thats off-topic).

Publishing tools to open-source is the only chance to pass my work to someone else in a "everyone's-happy" way. I can't give all the sources to someone who can't handle them and that won't keep passwords safe anyway, "what knows 3ppl - knows everyone".

I agree on everything you say about passwords.. but when it comes to new FVR-2 (or whatever it'll called) you will have to face the problem directly, and I want to look ahead - if MTKit2 can't handle AFC11 format good enough it probably won't open newer game format at all. Same you could already see with STKit Wink

Here are my thoughts to the moment:

Editcar - will go public as well as Addon Managers. There's just no way to keep passwords and have AFC11HN Manager.

MTKit2 - I will leave it 'as is' or will try to rewrite it in such way that MTKit3 will not open passworded models at all (unlike MTKit2 where you can see all models).

This is not my final decision yet, I just want to know communities opinion and take it into account. It's very likely that I will keep everything "as is" still.
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC11 tools at: http://krom.reveur.de/
Antworten
I agree about MtKit3 because it will keep models protected by password still safe.
With Editcar could be the same, just remove read/save password protected files. u know so it wont open 66kB files, but ofcourse most important is MtKit.

I wonder if wouldnt be better give source code to the person who really want continue your work, than publish it for all who will try make cracks or whatever hmm.
Antworten
Krom schrieb:Editcar - will go public as well as Addon Managers. There's just no way to keep passwords and have AFC11HN Manager.

MTKit2 - I will leave it 'as is' or will try to rewrite it in such way that MTKit3 will not open passworded models at all (unlike MTKit2 where you can see all models).

Editcar, well, that´s okay for me actually, I don´t think it´s too dramatic if it get open source. Okay, sure some will start modifing Editcars and think they´re cool than, but hey, leave the kids alone.

MTkit3, well, I´m actually addicted to open the models in order to get a UV Map for Vinyls and so on Wink That´s the prob. about it. Sadly I don´t see another way of than saving models and meanwhile making MTkit open-source than with another tool which "locks" the models so they can´t be exported.
"Thank god for Jack White." - Jimmy Fallon
[Bild: b9mx3dq3dehgl3a6g.jpg]
Flickr | tumblr | Freedom in the 21st Century: ► | Kinja | Mods
Antworten
freddydaimler schrieb:
Krom schrieb:Editcar - will go public as well as Addon Managers. There's just no way to keep passwords and have AFC11HN Manager.

Editcar, well, that´s okay for me actually, I don´t think it´s too dramatic if it get open source. Okay, sure some will start modifing Editcars and think they´re cool than, but hey, leave the kids alone.

MTkit3, well, I´m actually addicted to open the models in order to get a UV Map for Vinyls and so on Wink That´s the prob. about it. Sadly I don´t see another way of than saving models and meanwhile making MTkit open-source than with another tool which "locks" the models so they can´t be exported.

The biggest problem with Editcar is that then would be cheats in multiplayer like it was with MBWR, that's why I didnt like play online Sad
But lol u will still be able to use Mtkit to check models and get UV by MtKit2, so I cant see a problem there. Ofcourse u can always write PM to author ask about UV Wink
Antworten
TomWin schrieb:The biggest problem with Editcar is that then would be cheats in multiplayer like it was with MBWR, that's why I didnt like play online Sad
That won't happen Wink World Racing 2 compares your editcar.car timestamp and size with the one of the host. If it is different, you get a loading error.
[Bild: v3xesf8o.jpg]--[Bild: 3oniugzz.jpg]
flickr | facebook | YouTube | ►ιι | twitter | meine Mods
Denn da im Süden von der Elbe - da sind die Leute nicht das selbe...

Antworten
I think that is quite a good idea Krom. Keeping models in MTKit locked, excellent. I don't really mind about editcar too much, yes there will be stupid kids but kick them out of the server or somethingTongue
Antworten

Möglicherweise verwandte Themen...
Thema Verfasser Antworten Ansichten Letzter Beitrag
  Open-sourcing MTKit2. Do we still need to keep MOX passwords? Krom 3 3.374 17.02.2015, 20:12
Letzter Beitrag: freddydaimler
Smile Flo's Tools & Bastelecke Flo V. 31 19.132 03.07.2011, 18:45
Letzter Beitrag: HunterMM
  [WR2|WIP/REL] Addons & Tools by Ast Ast 101 72.191 22.01.2011, 13:39
Letzter Beitrag: Carfan

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste